St. Conrad’s Inter College, Agra, a Christian minority institution, established in 1977 under the patronage of St. Conrad, is managed and administered by Capuchin Friars Minor Educational Society, U.P., which is duly registered under the Registration of Societies Act No. XXI of 1860. It is a non-aided minority, co- educational, institution, recognized by the Department of Education, U.P. and affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (ICSE Board for Class X), and the ISC Certificate Examination (Class XII), New Delhi, which is a body recognized for conducting the public examinations under the Delhi School Education Act of 1973.
St. Conrad, Patron of Our College
St. Conrad, whose original name was John, was born in the year 1818 A.D, at Parzham in Bavaria, Germany. His parents, George and Getrude, were simple, honest and devout farmers. As John grew up, he learned from his parents to be simple, honest, devout and dutiful, kind and generous. He helped his parents everyday in the farm work. After losing his parents in his early youth, he ably looked after his brothers and sisters. He was very much attracted to a monastic life of prayer and penance; and, in spite of his hard work in the farm, he always found time for prayer and meditation.
After setting his brothers and sisters in life, John joined the Religious Society of Franciscan Capuchins at the age of 31 and took the new name, Conrad. In the year 1852 he became a member of this Franciscan Capuchin Society by pronouncing the three vows of poverty, chastity and obedience. Soon he was appointed to be in charge of the parlour (to receive visitors and guests) of the Capuchin Monastery at Altoetting. Diligent in his work, sparing in words, bountiful to the poor and needy, eager and ready to receive and help any stranger. Br. Conrad humbly and joyfully carried on his duty for 40 years till his death. He endeared himself to the people of the city so much that they flocked to him for advice, consolation, spiritual and material help. He had special affection for children. Every day in the evening the children of the town flocked around him to hear him and to pray with him. He always made them happy with his jokes and stories. When he was seriously ill, though the children were not told lest they be saddened, in a miraculous way, hundreds of children flocked near the parlour of the monastery and remained there singing and praying till Br. Conrad breathed his last. He died in April, 1894.
After his death, Br. Conrad worked several miracles. Therefore, since the people of Bavaria wanted that he be declared a ‘Saint’, the Catholic Church started examining his life, his writings, his virtues and his devotions. This examination went on for several years. Finally when it was proved that Br. Conrad really lived a holy, heroic and virtuous life, he was declared a Saint by the Catholic Church in the year 1934.
May St. Conrad, who is the heavenly patron of our college and who loved children very dearly, from his heavenly place, protect, inspire, and guide all our students and the staff!
The mission of the college is the all-round development of the students, aiming to achieve, thereby, the motto of the college: Truth, Love and Service. Hence the education is directed towards the training of the students’ intellectual, moral, emotional, physical, socio-cultural and aesthetic endowments. The students are also taught Moral Science, inculcating in them the values of peace, equality, unity and respect for all creed, caste and religions: making them better citizens of tomorrow.